Friday, February 13, 2009

mOm

We went to the temple today with Scott's family because his cousin is going on a mission soon. While I was in one of the rooms I noticed some (used) tissues sitting in front of me. I sat there wondering how long they have been there, how many germs they probably had, and what I should do about it. A couple things went through my mind... being a germophobe I didn't want to pick them up.. but then an interesting thing happened. A picture of my mom came to my mind and I was asked 'what would your mom do'? Hmm... My mother would pick them up, stuff them in her pocket, and throw them away when she passes a garbage. But me? I wished I had a clean tissue to pick them up with (seriously they looked gross). I thought maybe I could pass them off to the matron and have her throw them away. This plan was sounding good to me. Regrettably, I am a person that likes to do nice things, but also likes to get recognition for it. This realization came to my head and I was asked again 'what would your mom do'? Again, my mom would pick them up, stuff them in her pocket, throw them away, and never seek for any kind of recognition. I sat there with tears in my eyes as I thought of my mom, and how I need to be more like her. She is a woman that "just does it". No questions, complaints, or recognition needed. She has always been able to do everything. I don't know if she has always been like this, but I cant remember a time when she wasn't amazing. While my sisters and I were young, my dad worked and went to school. He was very busy and wasn't around much. Scott will be starting school in August, and already I am complaining. As I sat today and contemplated who I am and who I want to be, I realized how much I miss my mom. We cant live by each other right now, and that is hard on me. I miss her influence in my life (I still get it, just not as much as I would like). Needless to say, I did pick up the tissue and throw it away. Not for recognition, but to be one step closer to being the person I admire... my mOm.

4 comments:

Papa and Mama Folk said...

Ok lets get this strait... I might pretend not to want recoginition.. but will gladly accept any given, especially if laughter is involved.. Secondly.. I hate snot. Or mucus of any kind for that matter.. I will scan the corner of a tissue for a "clean, non-germie" spot. ... so then the question is.. if I hate snot or mucus ..why do I have great danes and cow (which I will tell you I have never seen anything with as much snot as a cow!!!) XXOO

Lindstrom07 said...

Mom probably would have used the "clean, non-germie" spot too before throwing it away! :-)

Isn't she the greatest!

Natalie Sue said...

What a neat post! Now I need a tissue!

katie said...

i can't believe i almost started crying over a story about snotty tissues

End of year recap

January 6th the girls did a great job on their piano recital. January 7th Olivia did French Club. January 11th Olivia had her first basketba...