Sunday, October 25, 2009

Baby Update

Sorry it has been so long. For those who haven't heard... we are having a girl! I am really excited to have two girls. This pregnancy has been awful, but is getting better. Apparently, my hormone levels are significantly elevated (more than average), causing hyperemesis (the excessive sickness and vomiting) and hyperthyroidism. Luckily for me, my specialist does not think I have Graves disease, so I am hoping it is just gestational. Hyperthyroidism in pregnancy is not that uncommon, but can usually be treated with a beta blocker (to bring down the heart rate... my heart would race (140 bpm) just relaxing. I thought I was going to have a heart attack), but my condition requires me to take a beta blocker and an iodine to control the thyroid. Thyroid conditions are pretty common, although hyperthyroidism (versus hypothyroidism) is a bit more complex and harder to control in pregnancy. I have been on medications for almost 3 months and it is still not completely regulated. My fear is that it will be finally regulated by the time I give birth, and then the thyroid levels will change (or go away) and I will have to do this all over again. The elevated HCG levels in pregnancy (that typically peak at 10 weeks or so) stay relatively elevated for me, so I am still on Zofran otherwise I would still be throwing up. Urggg. I was finally able to drop the other two anti-nasuea meds. The doctors claim that having the hyperthyroidism does not lower my immune system, but I keep getting hit with other sicknesses. I had a sinus infection for two months, that only went away with two rounds of antibiotics, and then I got the stomach flu. This past week has been much better, but I am avoiding large crowds and germy places (like nursery... although Addie doesn't seem to mind, she has not adjusted well). So we are all hoping that I will gain some more strength if I can just stay healthy for a couple of weeks. Wish me luck. I feel like I have been on a boat load of medications, which I know has to affect the baby. At my ultrasound they said everything looks great, but I have to go back in 6 weeks. Being on thyroid meds they are concerned about the baby getting Goiter. So between blood tests every couple weeks, ultrasounds, doctor appointments, and prescriptions, I have been pretty stressed about this pregnancy (which I am sure doesn't help). I just keep telling myself that most high risk pregnancies have normal, healthy babies. I will too.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry that this is so hard for you! You're in my prayers, I love you!

Gage said...

That sucks. Hang in there. Good luck.

End of year recap

January 6th the girls did a great job on their piano recital. January 7th Olivia did French Club. January 11th Olivia had her first basketba...