Monday, April 6, 2009

Learning the ways of a Vegan...

Needless to say, Addie is on a very restrictive diet. No mac'n'cheese, scrambled eggs, or anything else easy and fun to feed a toddler. She is also very picky. She doesn't like her food to touch, wont eat sandwiches, and doesn't like to try new things. She LOVES meat... especially hot dogs and ham, but I am trying to figure out new things to feed her. We now travel down the "health food" row at the grocery stores, and often visit the nutritional store. We search for vegan foods that avoid milk and eggs. We have found that Addie likes soy cheese (although it does have a small trace of milk and gives her hives), and the mayo and sour cream are pretty comparable to the regular ones. I have made granola bars, found chocolate chips (for cookies), tried tofu, yeast flakes, and other weird things. I haven't been able to add many new things to her diet.. but I am trying. Last night I made chicken broccoli casserole, one for us, one for Addie (with a milk/egg free cream of chicken and mayo). I seriously don't know how vegans do it. That stuff is just not that tasty.

We also broke down and bought a soy milk maker (which also makes rice milk). Rice milk is very expensive at the store. I really don't know why... it takes less than a cup of dry rice to make over a liter of milk. And rice is cheep! I am excited that we don't have to spend so much on rice milk anymore (it was costing as much as diapers!).

3 comments:

Gage said...

that totally stinks that she has so many allergies. Good luck with all that fun stuff...

Lisa said...

What?! I feel so out of the loop! You're awesome to learn all these new things. Every time I talk to you, or read your blog, I just keep thinking about how incredible you are. You're an awesome Mom! I wish you lived closer! I absolutely LOVE and ADORE you! BFR

Natalie Sue said...

That is so crazy...and hard! Does Dr. Moskun say she'll grown out of it? Or is this how she will have to eat forever (and how you will have to cook?) Did I miss that answer somewhere??

End of year recap

January 6th the girls did a great job on their piano recital. January 7th Olivia did French Club. January 11th Olivia had her first basketba...